Friday, October 26, 2007

The Things You Miss

My college roommate Molly gave me a card when I left New York. In it, she predicted not just where I would be 26 months from now—finishing up my Peace Corps service and heading on a trip through Eastern Africa—but where our friends and classmates would find themselves, too.

Ilana, of course, will be married. Maybe Darby will have a baby and Dan will probably be engaged. Molly will be attending some top-tier grad school and Alisa will be a doctor.

We will finally be grown up.

It’s exciting to think about where the next two years will take us and what sort of adventures I’ll find in Namibia. But as I struggle (quite literally) to pack my bags, tie up loose ends, and say goodbye to my family, I’m reminded of all that I’ll be missing here, too.

My cousin Paul just got engaged and he’ll get married next October. Once Lilly and Claire learn to walk, they’ll be running circles around my cousins. And the newest addition to our extended family, baby Julian, will be talking by the time I return. He’ll have no idea who I am.

I’ve been thinking about the Peace Corps since I graduated from NYU. And now, four years later, after eighteen months of paperwork, interviews and doctors appointments, my departure date is almost here. I’m not anxious or afraid, just excited and ready. Really ready.

But I’m also a little sad. Sad because of what I’ll miss: the big life events, face time with family and holidays at home. Still, I can’t help but think I’d be missing out on more if I’d decided to stay here, instead of finding out what it really feels like to get sand in my shoes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you. I cannot wait to hear all about it and I really hope we can manage to meet up when I am on your continent.

I miss you!!!!!

-Katie

Anonymous said...

Dear Jilly,

Growth is about change...sometimes we seek it, sometimes we welcome it, sometimes we tolerate it, sometimes we run from it...but change is inevitble.You'll most likely experience all of these while you're in Namibia. We will miss you while you're gone: your smiles, laughs, perspectives on life....your writing, your friends...EVERYTHING!!!

As you grew up I tried to show you that if you only associated with people like yourself, you would miss much the world had to offer and to teach. You've become a very "cosmopolitan " young woman over these years, also a very gutsy, stubborn and determined one! You have a very tender heart for others and a gentle nature all your own. So as you set off on your latest adventure, fly, Little Bird, fly. Be the change you hope the world to see and remember: YOU ALWAYS HAVE A NEST TO COME HOME TO.

Love,
MOM <3 :-}

Anonymous said...

I am so honored to be a part of your blog...although I think I predicted that I will be underpaid and unsure of my future:) Words can't begin to describe how proud of you I am. I love reading your writing and can not wait to read about all of your experiences. Your bravery and passion are an inspiration to us all.
-Molly

Unknown said...

I wanna share this thing
If you’re going to a party, a wedding or simply going to work you need to find the court shoes. Ladies Shoes, Ladies Canvas Boots, Womens Sandals, Patent Shoes , Peep Toe Shoes, High Heel Cheap Shoes Online is the latest selection of Garageshoes, with added glamour & sparkle to accompany your evening dress. Medium heel shoes are also available online & are often more practical for day-to-day usage around the office.