Sunday, October 14, 2007

Sister Jill

I haven't left yet, but my ever-thoughtful friends and family have already begun to ask about the best ways to stay in touch, and eventually to send supplies (old US Weeklies, election and Olympic coverage, too). Because the Peace Corps operates on more of a need-to-know basis, I don't really have all of the answers and doubt I ever will. But our group has been fortunate to connect with some current volunteers, and this is the advice they had for those shipping packages from stateside:

"The best method for sending a care package is by simply using the US postal service. I've found that packages sent in a big padded envelope get here much quicker than a box. Boxes take anywhere from 1 month to 5-6 months. It really varies on this one. I think as a rule of thumb, keep it small. My experience with packages has been diverse: 1 padded envelope sent from California got here in 10 days using regular ground mail. Another package sent from NYC using the more expensive way to send it, got here in exactly 1 week. Other packages took anywhere from 1 month to 2 months. If for some reason you need something shipped that is expensive or important, I know people have used DHL (there is a DHL office in Windhoek)

...the only other thing I wanted to add is that in sending packages via the post office, we've found that it's helpful to "holy"them up -- address them to Father Joe Schmoe, or Sister Jane Smith,and say that they're coming from the Sister [whatever] at BlessedChurch of Jesus. Writing holy phrases ("Thou shall not steal," "Jesus is watching," "We miss you at church, Sister Jane!" etc.) on the package helps too."

I've been confirmed, so I think this additional step may be okay. I trust my mom will let me know if not.

As for standard correspondence, I expect to have somewhat regular internet access during my training in Windhoek, which lasts through late December. Letters take about 20 days to arrive and may still be the best (and most reliable) way to keep in touch.
Jill Nawrocki PCT
Peace Corps
PO Box 6862
Ausspannplatz,
Windhoek, Namibia
Envelopes don't need special international stamps, since two standard first class ones will do the trick. Current volunteers recommend numbering letters, just in case they arrive in a different order than they were sent. As most of you know, I always write back--but it may take a while (even 20 days) to decipher my handwriting.

When it comes to having pen pals, isn't that really half the fun?

3 comments:

Claire said...

Get ready Sister Mary Francis for lots of letters, used magazines, Cottonelle Wet Ones, Tampax, Orbitz gum, newspaper clippings...

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of those that do what they love, no matter how hard it is to get there. Passion is everything! You and I may do very different things (researching grizzly bears versus helping people with HIV/AIDS) but the passion for what we do remains the same! Live, Love, and Learn my cousin! let the letters and packages begin!

Michael P. Rellahan said...

Do you weant me to send Rolling Stones or Mojo mags? Please tell me you'vbe gotten the latest RS with The Boss on the cover so I don't have to worry about getting that to you. I'll call soon.