Saturday, October 27, 2007

Mission Accomplished

It’s official. After some trial and a bit of error my bags are packed and I’m ready to go. It’s slightly more than I hoped to carry, but at 43 pounds, I’m confident I can haul my pack all over Africa if I have to (and, well, I plan to).

Just what does two years worth of supplies look like? Here’s a random sampling:

o Four bottles of SPF 45
o Three packets of macaroni and cheese powder
o 750 Ibuprofen
o Six packs of Imodium
o 200 Tampons
o Eight Razor blades
o 30 pairs of underwear
o Nine tank tops
o Six pairs of socks
o Iodine tablets
o Two Nalgenes, a collapsible water jug and a lifetime filter
o Five sticks of deodorant
o Uno
o Two Frisbees
o One Jump rope
o 500 hair ties
o Three tubes of toothpaste
o A ball of twine
o Two headlamps
o Two adapters
o A Leatherman
o 120 wet wipes
o One roll of toilet paper
o 12 passport photos
o One stick of Deet
o 10 gigs worth of memory cards

Regardless of how much I pack or how many lists I make, I'm sure they'll be things I wish I'd remembered and others it would have been better to forget. But today, one thing's for sure: if it didn't make it into my pack, it's not coming with me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe i haven't seen you in 8 years and now that i've seen you twice in the last 5 months you're leaving. i don't get to see you much but i do love you and will miss you. i will think of you often as you are on the adventure most of us will only ever dream about. I can't wait to read all about the things you will be learning and taking part in. so have fun, i love you and be careful. sarah

Anonymous said...

to the most infamous member of our family...you inspire me! words aren't easy right now... to say that i will miss you and wish you the best of luck is an understatement. I can't imagine that you are going to finally live your dream in less than a few short days away, your mind must be running a mile a minute. I will defianatly keep in touch I know how it is to be far away from the people you love and care about the most, and not be able to just get in a car and drive to see them or pick up a telephone and say hello. You will be on my mind and in my prayers, good luck to you. Im so proud of you for going after your dreams and accomplishing your goals! Love, Maggie

Michael P. Rellahan said...

Two Frisbees?

Anonymous said...

i know, right? what do you need 2 frisbees for. not all brown people suck at frisbee as much as i do.