Friday, April 17, 2009

Just a Toothbrush: Grootberg Primary

Things don't always go as planned in Namibia. So when our transport to Erwee arrived two hours late and Isabel (the dentist) called me too sick to participate, it was really no surprise. Likewise, when I realized I'd accidentally left all of the toothbrushes meant for grade 5 in Khorixas, I was disappointed, but not defeated. (Luckily, a nurse from the clinic agreed to deliver them today.) Despite these blunders and setbacks, our second all-school dental outreach went incredibly well. I handled upper primary while Lorain, the dental assistant, tackled pre-K through grade 4.

The 5 a.m. wakeup and six-hour driving time were exhausting, but I'd say the kids' smiles made it worth all of the work.


Lorain Checking Pre-K Teeth


Pre-Ks Brushing


Lorain Leading a Workshop for Grade 1s


Grade 3s Smiling


Grade 7s After the Workshop


Me with Grade 5s

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the very last picture. <3 L.