Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Stage Left

The members of Namibia 27 have finally met. We are 71 strong and come from all over the U.S. (but California and Oregon are both representing pretty hard). There are four seniors, one married couple and one married man among us. But the majority of volunteers are somewhere between 22 and 38. There are far more educators than health workers. We are recent college grads, computer techs, massage therapists, retirees, farmers and teachers.

No one smells like patchouli and only a few people wear Birkenstocks.

While staging has been boring—eight-hour days in a hotel conference room with flip charts and workbooks—the experience has been nothing but positive. Even the 51-question icebreaker wasn’t so bad. After all, how else would we know Rashid can make bagels?

Maybe it’s still the initial excitement, but everyone seems great—kind, sincere and surprisingly hilarious. Sarcasm lives here, which makes someone like me feel more at home.

We spend breakfast, lunch and dinner together. We spend the time in between together. We even room together. For the next two years, the 71 of us are all we have.

And from the looks of it, we couldn't have gotten any luckier.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

so, so happy to hear how things are progressing. keep updating!

xo.

Michael P. Rellahan said...

You are certainly putting your reporters' skills to fine work. Keep on keeping us up to date!

And best wishes, Jill!

Anonymous said...

i saw this in hax today and thought it will come in handy for the next 2 years:

Carolyn Hax: I don't even know you and I know you don't need this crap. Tell him it was fun trying, but, no thanks.

By the way, the first time I typed it I wrote, "You don't need this carp." I liked that, too.

Nanci said...

Today I received an email from 2006 Chicago Marathon picture people saying our photos would soon be deleted. I went back and looked at them and it made me think of a very important song that I think applies to your time in Namibia:


Sometimes the world looks perfect,
Nothin' to rearrange.
Sometimes you just
Get a feelin' like you need some kind of change.

Standin' TALL
On the wings of my dream!

Rise and fall
On the wings of my dream!

Rain and thunder, wind and haze
I'm bound for better days!
It's my life,
It's my dream,
Nothin's gonna stop me now.

Thinking of you...

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you're not anywhere near internet and are probably too busy anyway but good luck. Look forward to hearing more updates. Rich

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you.

Love,
Leigh

Anonymous said...

Hi, Jill!
Jim and I are staying with your parents for the night as I attended the Rochester Children's Book Festival today - which was GREAT! Lots of valuable contacts made, so it was very worthwhile.
Everyone is so proud of you and your "mission" - it takes a very unselfish person to make the sacrifice you have committed to for two plus years of your young life. The African families with whom you will be associated will be all the richer for having known you and benefitted from your expertise in HIV/AIDS work. What a life experience to savor forever! Stay safe and rest comfortably in the promise that God will always be with you wherever you roam. You'll never be alone, even though there will be "dark times".
Love, Jim and Carol Crolle

Anonymous said...

I hope everything is going smoothly and you are learning so much of what you will be doing for the next few months and where you will be stationed. Sending you a BIG HUG! Love Kim

Unknown said...

JILL!!!
I love you! I have been hearing about whats going on with your bags, and I just can't believe this. Tell me what I can do, really, I will ship anything you need. I know there is a high risk of it not getting to you, but thats ok, I would rather try then not try. I hope you are still smiling, I know you will pull through this. I bet they will find your bags, I am going to be thinking about you a lot!!!! I miss you, I hope you are okay...LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Anonymous said...

From Heather's comment above I've deduced that you lost your bags. I'm smart, huh.

I'm so sorry that after all that work packing you don't have your stuff! What a way to start the adventure. PLEASE let me know if there is anything I can send you!

-Katie

Michael P. Rellahan said...

J-Master-Naw,


I have a spare Frisbee that I'm not doing anything with at the moment. I'd be happy to send it along, but promise you'll give it back when you're finished.

MPR

Anonymous said...

Hooray! I'm so happy to hear that your luggage was delivered safe and complete! No adventure worth having starts out smoothly, so you are on the right track ;)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.