Friday, December 11, 2009

The Last Week

After two years of uncertainties, hardships, successes and friendships, it's officially time to leave Khorixas. I am certain this will be one of the hardest things I ever have to do. I'm happy, because I feel like I'm leaving my home--I have a family here that I love as much as my own, and friends that I'm as close to as those I left behind in America. To me, that means I did my job. I integrated. I changed. And ultimately, I grew.

After 27 months of constantly learning, I finally feel like I understand the way things work and what to expect, and as I prepare to leave here, I know all of that is about to change. I'm excited, because while leaving Khorixas means the end of one chapter, it also means the beginning of another. In less than a week I'll begin my five month journey through South Africa, Egypt, India (where I've been wanting to go for practically forever!), and Southeast Asia. And while I know that experience will be an amazing one, it's hard to wrap my head around actually leaving. There are so many goodbyes to say and the unanswered question of, "When will I see you again?" hangs over every one of my interactions with the people here I love.


The Neighbor Kids


Me and Mila


My Office Building


My Office

Jessica and I decided to have a yard sale of sorts over this past weekend. We thought it was a great excuse to get rid of some stuff and also an opportunity for people here to get in on some American goods on the cheap, too. (We didn't want to just hand things out because it makes life harder for the next volunteer.) We expected two big benefits from the sale--more room in our flat and less to pack in our bags. But there was another perk to our plan as well. The last few days have turned our place into a revolving door of visitors. Friends, colleagues, teachers and nurses have continuously stopped by. Whether to look at what's for sale or simply to say hello, it's been the easiest way to insure we see everyone before we leave. And it's nice to have them coming to us, instead of having to search each and every person out ourselves.


Me and Jill-Tasha


My Supervisor, Dr. Nkire and My Colleague, Kate


My Nam Fam


Boois, Jeremy and Marianne


One of the Things I'll Miss the Most

Isabelle and Lorraine pooled their funds with some other ladies at the hospital and got me a traditional Damara dress, too. I was sad that Jessica wasn't around to see me in it! The dress was red and white, with puffy sleeves and a long skirt, and while I thought it looked absolutely HEINOUS on, the people at the hospital loved it and everyone kept telling me how beautiful I looked. I know they really meant it, too. Getting the dress was really incredible, because it symbolized their acceptance of me into the Damara culture. Wearing it was really special for everyone here, because it meant I'd accepted their culture as part of my own, too.


Fashion Show!


Me and Merline

1 comments:

rebecca said...

love love love!