Sunday, September 6, 2009

Oh! The Places You'll GLOW: Learner Stories

Peace Corps volunteers in Namibia invite outstanding learners from across the country to attend this week-long leadership camp in Windhoek every year. And while it's an incredible experience to be surrounded by so many bright and caring kids, a few of their stories always seem to stand out and leave a lasting impression.

This year, one of those learners was near and dear to me, mostly because he came from Khorixas. Two days before camp, Jessica sent me a message saying Selvanus, one of my learners from last year, had decided not to go to Camp GLOW. He'd made up an excuse about his father being sick, but we realized he was nervous to leave home (he hadn't been away in ten years, and only then to visit his sister a couple of hours away). He didn't have pocket money or new clothes to take to Camp, and was worried what the other kids would think.

I was already in Windhoek preparing for GLOW--buying supplies, visiting the bank and meeting with Peace Corps. Otherwise, I would have marched over to his house for a face-to-face talk. Instead, I did the next best thing. With the help of another volunteer (who was able to explain the situation to his mother in Afrikaans), we managed to convince Selvanus that he'd make loads of new friends, travel with other learners from his school and not have to worry about new clothes or spending money. (Especially since Camp is free and learners have to wear their Camp GLOW T-shirts!)

In the end (after more than a couple of phone calls, a visit from Jessica and a whole lot of convincing), Selvanus decided to come. And he did GREAT. He was nervous at first, but after a couple of hours he had an ear-to-ear grin that lasted for all of camp.

On the last day of GLOW he gave me a homemade thank you card. It was all the proof I needed that he'd had an amazing Camp GLOW experience.

Dear Miss Jill,
All I wanted to say was thank you for telling me that clothes are not important. So thank you very much and big big big thank you. I love you as my mother. Plz forgive me for being blind.
-Selvanus


Gerson was another learner who left a lasting impression on us. He had a great attitude, a giant smile and he gave awesome hugs. He was also incredibly bright.

We were all a bit worried that the connections and allusions we made to the book, "Oh! the Places You'll Go!" throughout the week might be lost on some of the campers. But when GLOW ended and Gerson sent us the following SMS, we felt like everything had fallen into place.

Once again I thank you and the whole PCVs for the great support and in enriching our minds with better education. Camp GLOW was the best experience I ever had in my life. Now finally I packed my backpack and brought with me all the leadership skills I gained. Camp GLOW contributed a lot to my life, my self confidence and my self-esteem. WOW! I wished it would be forever. HOW SAD! Good things really do come to an end. But I remember to pack all of the good memories gained. I moved the mountains. I believe wherever I fly, I'll be the best of the best. Wherever I go, I'll top all the rest. THANK YOU CAMP GLOW!
Gerson


Even if all of the campers didn't make the connections, we knew at least some of them did--and that made all our planning and hard work worth it.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

So moving! Can you even imagine the difference you and the other volunteers have made?!? Love you!