Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Knitting: A Public Service Announcement

I've never been much for crafting. But then an old friend sent me some knitting supplies and I realized now might be the perfect time to learn. So I found some women from Zimbabwe to teach me the basics. We spend Sunday afternoons chatting about our cultures and our countries. They show me stitches and techniques. I provide the yarn.

I enjoy the social aspect of it. The chance to talk. The opportunity for trial and error under someone else's guidance. But even when I'm alone, I find the clicking of needles almost meditative. And I appreciate the fact that, so long as I keep doing what I'm doing, I can mark my progress in rows and stitches.

But as you might suspect, yarn stores in this desert country are few and far between. (Perhaps even nonexistent.) So, if you send me some yarn that you like, I'll return the favor by sending you a handmade scarf. It's nothing fancy, but it is warm and fuzzy just the same.

Or, if you'd prefer, I can use your yarn to knit a scarf for one the children at the Sunrise Center. Because while stateside summer is just around the corner, Nam winter will be here before we know it.

5 comments:

Kate said...

I'm working on an idea to get some more yarn to you. . . I'll keep you posted.

Kate said...

Yarn update: I've asked the girls I knit with to each donate a ball from their stash, and the response so far has been pretty good. I'm hoping to collect yarn over the month of March and then send it your way.

I'm glad you're enjoying knitting -- it's kind of addicting, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate and Jilly!

Kate that's awesome of you. Miss the 'ol WC days. (:

Jilly! I can't wait to see your handiwork. It takes me an hour just to sew buttons on a sweater. Ha!

Love,
Leigh

Anonymous said...

p.s. the community aspect of that is so, so cool. How wonderful! And I will try to get some for the Sunrise center.


(Leigh again) (:

beth pulsipher said...

Hi Jill -
I'm one of the gals in the knit group Kate was talking about, and I think this is just a fabulous idea! Do believe you are going to be pleasantly surprised . . . :)

beth