Wednesday, March 19, 2008

To Miss Jill With Love

Endearing notes from learners may not be uniquely Namibian. But their
love letter phrasing just might be.

And while Jessica has piles of these colorful correspondence stacked
in her new flat, my first learner letter came as a bit of a
surprise--albeit a pleasant one.

After all, who doesn't like to hear they are loved?

Dear Miss Jill,

I just wanted to tell you that I love you. I have a small message.
This is the message that I give you. If days can not allow up to see
each other memories will. And if my eyes cannot see you my heart will
never forget you. Life is a journey not a destination. Enjoy your day.

This letter means you are my mother. Please write back. Please.

From: Nariathia

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Jilly!

What a beautiful letter!!!! You are so blessed to be appreciated in such a special way.

Love you and miss you,

MOM <3 :-)

Anonymous said...

Aww, how sweet.

Miss you.

-Katie

PS - this means you are my mother ;-)

Anonymous said...

That is just beautiful.

<3 Leigh

Anonymous said...

It's been a while, but let me continue with my promise to contrast your every observation with what's going on in New York. Here it is customary to receive letters that say "this letter means you are my father."
Interesting.

—THE Richard Peck

Michael P. Rellahan said...

You better have written back!

Unknown said...

oh my gosh! so cute...and hilarious all at once! I love it! and seriously, I second that, you better have written back!!! what I am saying, of course you wrote back, I just hope she can read your writing!
xxoo
h