Monday, June 15, 2009

Nawrockis in Namibia Part V: Back to Khorixas

Because one day in Khorixas is never enough, we stopped back for a visit on our way to the coastal town of Swakopmond. My family had met a lot of friends and colleagues during the braai, but had missed out on one major part of my Namibian life: Learners.

We'd been in such a rush to see the place and prepare for the evening's events that we'd avoided the school almost entirely.

But this time around, Eddie Bowe was top on our list of priorities.

Jessica helped round up the school choir for an impromptu concert outside the main office (I'd upload a video if I had any kind of bandwidth). The kids sang traditional songs in Damara, as well as some random American pop tunes, too.

It's the kind of experience my family had seen on television. When Oprah visited her school in South Africa or some nightly news special stopped by another African village. It was the kind of experience--strong voices from small bodies and a harmonization most professionals can't even achieve--that makes a trip to the continent complete.



It makes a family feel like they've been welcomed home.


(And my mom even managed to find a fan club.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY!

Love to all,
Leigh

Unknown said...

SO great! (p.s. Mrs. Nawrocki! I love your hair these days...)