Saturday, January 24, 2009

Seven Minutes on the Zambezi

This is me and my fearless team braving the white waters of the Zambezi River:



And this is me, seven minutes later, fearing for my life, splashing frantically and watching the last 28 years pass before my eyes:



I’d like to say that I got back into the boat after falling overboard and swallowing what felt like gallons of water. I’d like to tell you that I faced my fears, that I tackled the next ten rapids, and that in the end, I had a glorious time of it.

That in fact, I did it twice.

But that would be a lie.

So instead, I’ll tell you the truth.

I’ll tell you that I was already a bit apprehensive about testing my limits when we signed up for white water rafting our second day in Zambia. I’d been living in the desert for a year, a hundred miles from the nearest body of water. And prior to that I’d lived in New York City, where the closest thing to rapids was a bumpy morning subway ride.

It only makes sense that I’d have my reservations.

The Zambezi isn’t a lazy winding river, but instead a Level 5 nightmare. For a novice like me to take to the challenge was a bit like an amateur attempting to climb Everest. I was already nervous when we piled into our bus, and sitting next to Jeffie B, who grew up in Utah and has friends who are guides on some of America’s most notorious rivers, wasn’t much help. He had endless anecdotes about drownings, failed rescues and of course, death. (He didn't hesitate to share them all.)

Needless to say, it did little to calm my fears.

So when I was thrown from our raft (or, according to Amanda, when I jumped from it), these tales of terror immediately rushed to mind. I surfaced quickly, but my first breath was mostly water, which left me still gasping for air. I tried to remember the directions for a kayak rescue from our early-morning debriefing, but instead drew a blank, as waves pushed me close to jagged rocks and washed over my head.

I was certain I would die. (After all, isn't that how all Jeffie B’s stories ended?)

One of the safety kayakers made it to my side in what was probably less than 15 seconds (though I swear it felt more like a lifetime). He must have seen the fear in my eyes, because the first thing he said was, "If you scream I'll let you go."

For the record, I did not find that very reassuring.

But once I got my bearings and took a breath that was mostly air, he looked at me again and got serious. “Why weren’t you swimming for your boat?!” he asked.

The truth was, I just didn’t want to. I’d given this white water rafting thing a shot—despite my better judgment. And after just seven minutes, I was pretty sure I didn’t want to spend the next three hours wondering if I was going to die every time we approached a new rapid. Clearing the Boiling Point and falling overboard was enough excitement for one day.

A point that was proved when I saw these pictures from later in the ride:







Sure I turned back. And maybe I gave up. But at least I tried (and will probably try again--just not on Level 5 rapids). That’s more than I can say for our driver, who offered me a beer, then called me a chicken, and in the same breath, admitted he was born and raised in Livingstone, worked for the rafting company, yet had never once been on the river.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

ummmmmm, I have SO BEEN HERE BEFORE! I didn't fall out though, but you know how the guides always tell you things like "if I catch anyone not helping and sitting down in the middle to be safe cause you're a pansy, then I will personally throw you over board!!" I totally sat in and didn't help for much of it! hahah!

but, I am so glad nothing happened to you, SCARY!!!

xxh

Unknown said...

oh! and p.s. the pictures of the waterfall?! WHAT? AMAZING! I am sure you are racking up millions of memories that will last a lifetime!

Unknown said...

My favorite part?!? ... The "If you scream I'll let you go" quote ... WTF is that?

Anonymous said...

Would that have happened in the Chippewa river? Would some lonesome soul leave a trail of cornmeal to mourn your passing? Can you eat those pineneedles?

LOVE and HUGS,
Leigh

Anonymous said...

Gotta say, I have a problem with Jeffie. Sounds like one of these kids who's convinced he's invulnerable, and that all these stories of death are anecdotes about mere mortals. When you're
28, you're SUPPOSED to have a little more respect for life than that--including your own. So I say the guys can wrap themselves in their precious machismo. I'm glad our Gal had enough sense to bail out when she did.

David Hechler

Unknown said...

And that is why I will never go white-water rafting. :-)

Unknown said...

I just came back from Zimbabwe a couple weeks ago; I did the rafting.

It was WAY more scary then I ever thought it would be. I ended up going the full day (21 rapids, 5 category 5 rapids). I fell out twice. One time I was out for a while and felt like I was being water boarded; the other time the guide pulled me back in quickly.

Overall, I'm happy to have had the experience. I will say it's extremely dangerous and I was VERY thankful to be on land at the end of that day!!!