Monday, November 10, 2008

Just a Toothbrush: Eddie Bowe Primary

Learners here in Khorixas are busy preparing for final exams and the end of the school year, so this week’s oral care workshops will likely be the last of 2008. (But don’t worry—plenty more will happen in the coming year!)

Since I started this project a few months ago, I’ve been surprised by how few children own toothbrushes, how unaware most are of proper brushing techniques and how almost none know even the definition of cavity (let alone how to prevent one).

You’d think by now nothing would shock me. But today, I was simply amazed. Amazed because when I asked where the dentist in Khorixas works, no one raised a hand.

Not because they didn’t know the place. But because they didn’t know the profession.

Before today it seems, most of these learners had never even heard of the dentist.


Edddie Bowe Grade 5A


Eddie Bowe Grade 6A


Eddie Bowe Grade 7A

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Jilly,

I remember your telling me that in your PCV training they told you to look at your community and identify a need of the people there. Judging from today's classes you definitely found one. Keep working hard and I'll keep looking for materials you my be able to use.

Love you,

MOM <3 :-)

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Jilly. When I go to the dentist tomorrow I will be thankful for what I have - and thankful that there's someone like you out there making a difference for others!

Love,
Leigh